(Nearly) Every time I say, “I love you.”
It’s followed up with, “Do you?”
And I always blurt something random out. Something unsubstantial.
"Cause we’re penguins."
And it makes me feel like…
It comes off like I don’t have a real reason for loving you.
And of course that’s totally incorrect.
I have so many intense feelings and thoughts and appreciations of you that when you ask, “Why?”, my poor little brain can’t handle all of the reasons why.
- Because you put up with me
- Because you make me happy
- You make me laugh
- You make me smile
- You LISTEN to me (even though you like to make me think you don’t, for God knows what reason.)
- You take me into consideration for EVERYTHING.
- You ALWAYS put me first. Always.
- You’re constantly looking out for my best interest, even if you know that I’m not going to be happy about it.
- You care MORE about my safety, protection, and overall well being than letting me be reckless and ridiculous.
- You ground me, so that when my head is in the clouds, you’re keeping me from flying away.
- You take my dreams and ideas and desires and make them reality
- You got cats with me
- Because even when you had SUCH good reasons to let me go and never look back, you are here.
- You don’t let our problems of the past hinder our future, and you don’t hold them against me.
- You can always tell when I get inside my head, and do your best to pull me back out
- Because you love me. You love me. Not that girl with the cute butt, or that girl who’s like 20 lbs skinnier than me. You love me. Weird, awkward, nerdy, emotional, me.
Sometimes we hit a bump in the road, a little pot hole, maybe we had to swerve to avoid collision. I know I can be difficult, and truthfully, some days you’re difficult too. But that’s because we’re people. We’re two very different people, who happened to fall in love and start a cat family. And I’m so glad that we did. I hope to God that you’ll be asking me why for the rest of our lives.